There are a handful of nutritional supplements that I recommend to just about all my patients. Over the years I've sorted through dozens of excellent products, and only a few have met the following criteria. The supplement must be:
- Based in whole foods
- Genetically congruent (not artificially altered for one reason or another)
- Pure (non-toxic)
- Essential for human health
- Difficult or impossible to attain in sufficient quantities or purity from the foods we eat.
- Omega 3's (DHA and EPA): The ideal ratio of Omega 6's to Omega 3's is from 1:1 to 2:1, but has become 25:1 on average for Americans.
- Probiotics: Research shows that we now consume one-millionth of the healthy bacteria that we did before pesticides, herbicides, and industrial farming. Be sure to look for L. plantarum in the ingredient list.
- Xanthones: Scientists have identified dozens of benefits from this class of phytonutrients, including anti-inflammatory properties. The best source of xanthones is from the whole fruit of the mangosteen (especially the rind). Researchers have identified over 200 positive biological effects from the mangosteen.
- Vitamin-Mineral Complex: I recommend this only to my patients who do not always eat their recommended twelve servings of vegetables and fruits, either through salads or juicing. Not all complexes are equal. Many are not absorbed and pass right through one's system. (Ask any portable toilet technician!) One excellent brand is XanGo's 3SIXTY5, which comes in either men's or women's formulas, and is exceptionally complete.
The best source of Omega 3's and probiotics I have identified can be found at www.innatechoice.com. To receive a discount, enter access code WP90502 when ordering. After looking at various brands of mangosteen juice, the only one that is comprised of the whole fruit (pulp, rind, stem, and seeds), and fulfills the above requirments, is XanGo, which you can order at www.DrConnieAmundson.net (3SIXTY5 information and ordering also available at this site).
[To read a longer version of this article, view it on EzineArticles.com.]