Saturday, September 1, 2012

Free Won't

Or why the discoveries of F. M. Alexander, and their application in my daily life, has been so important. Researchers agree that we don't have free will, but we do have free won't. If I care to exercise it (and I don't always; apparently sometimes I want to be a mindless drone) by "inhibiting" my habitual response to some stimulus, I carve out a little moment where I can make a conscious choice about some action or behavior.

The study of the Alexander Technique gives us a means for constructively exploring that in daily life. For more fun! I wonder whether decades of practice enhance the brain center responsibile for free won't. My guess is yes. As a wise man (Glenn Doman) once said to a class I was attending, "The brain grows by use. The brain grows by use. The brain grows by use. If we say something three times, it means we want you to remember it." 

There are a few master teachers in the Seattle area that I highly recommend (in no particular order): Cathy Madden, Catherine Kettrick and David Mills, and Stacy Gehman. The Alexander Technique was the first way in to the concrete block that was my consciousness coming out of childhood, and I would never want to be without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment