Friday, September 7, 2012

Renovate Right: Avoid Lead Toxicity

Here are some facts about lead:

  1. Lead can affect children's brains and developing nervous systems, causing reduced IQ, learning disabilities, and behavioral problems.
  2. Lead in dust, which is often invisible, is the most common way people are exposed to lead.
  3. Lead-based pain was used in more than 38 million homes until it was banned for residential use in 1978.
  4. Projects that disturb lead-based pain can create dust and endanger you and your family. When renovating, make sure that your contractor follows safe practices. Not all of them do!
If you suspect lead, or other heavy metal toxicity, there is a simple urine test we perform in-office. I recently had myself tested and found out that I was medium-high in terms of heavy metals in general. Since I breathe purified air, drink purified water, and eat mostly organically grown food, it took me awhile to puzzle out a possible source. Then I remembered that I had used cast iron cookware every day for most of my adult life. The cast iron cookware was history, but heavy metals linger on.

Fortunately, we carry a product specifically designed to eliminate heavy metals. It is even safe for children, so people of all ages can rest assured that they can be heavy-metal-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment